Archive for the ‘shield’ Category

Arduino MP3

Tuesday, July 5th, 2011

ArduinoMP3 (Rev C)

The Arduino MP3 webpage is finally up and the source code for the project is on github.

You can find the web pages at:

http://www.brokentoaster.com/arduinomp3

You can find all the future development at GitHub via this link:

https://github.com/brokentoaster/ArduinoMP3

Arduino MP3 Shield Rev B (correct files this time)

Monday, June 14th, 2010

I have to apologise to everyone who downloaded the Revision B Arduino MP3 Shield PCBs when I posted them here and here.

I accidently uploaded and emailed everyone the wrong files, not only were they not revision B they weren’t even revision A. This was totally my fault as I grabbed the files from the wrong directory when uploading. I was sure I had checked they were correct but obviously I hadn’t.

I’ve included some pictures of what the layout is supposed to look like for Rev B so you can check the gerbers and EAGLE files are correct before getting any made. ( Look for the large ‘B’ on the top copper layer.)




Figure 1 : Arduino MP3 Shield Rev B PCB - Top view




Figure 2 : Arduino MP3 Shield Rev B PCB - Bottom view

I have since fixed the links and are now hosting the correct files. Here are the links again:

EAGLE files are here

GERBER files are here

Arduino Library files are here

PDF of the schematic is here

Once again sorry to everyone who got the wrong files.

Creative Commons License
Arduino MP3 Shield by Nick Lott is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.
Based on a work at www.brokentoaster.com.

Arduino MP3 Rev B v0.0

Monday, February 15th, 2010

Last week I managed to have some luck with my Arduino MP3 shield. The big hold up was caused by not having enough power from the FT232RL chip to supply the decoder and the memory card at the same time (50mA max d-oh). I also had a software issue, I had not altered the code to deal with the 16Mhz clock speed of the arduino from the 8Mhz I was using on the ButterflyMP3 project. The SPI clock was running at 8Mhz where it needed to be slower than 6MHz (to comply with the VS1011E datasheet). Once I had that sorted everything just popped into place and started working reliably.

I apologise in advance for the poor integration of the library examples. I have simply and quite roughly ported the minimal parts of my buterflymp3 project over to the arduino and this hardware. The examples will test reading FAT16 file system on the MMC/SD card, test the VS1011E decoder chip, and play the first mp3 file found on the memory card. I hope to get these tidied up later but have not had any time to do so lately.

The PCB has not actually been tested yet so I’d hold off building a million of these until after a successful test. There is unlikely to be much wrong with it though as I have simply added a voltage regulator and re routed a couple of signals to fix my earlier mistakes. ( I’d forgotten that I/O lines 0 and 1 are used by the uart on the arduino)

I have embedded the BOM below. ( The bom is here if you don’t see it below)

Here are all the files so far. These are all released under a Creative Commons 2.5 license .

EAGLE files are here

GERBER files are here

Arduino Library files are here

PDF of the schematic is here

To use the library simply put the “mp3” folder from the zip file inside the “libraries” folder in your arduino folder (create one if it doesn’t exist). Restart Arduino 018 or later and you should have “mp3” entries in the menus under examples and import libraries.

The BOM references a 2.8V LDO voltage regulator but the schematic shows a 3.3V. Either will work fine but the 2.8 will give you slightly lower power usage.

If you are interested in PCBs or kits, drop me a line at buy_pcbs@brokentoaster.com
As always any comments, suggestions or ideas are welcome.