Kicad OSX nightlies fixed again.

Got my kicad builds sorted again. finally got the make command right to work with the boost library. I’ve updated to the latest (1.39) and everything seems to be going well.

My nightly make script now looks like this….

#update from svn
cd /temp/kicad-sources
svn up
new_version=`svn info | grep Revision | cut -f 2 -d\ `
old_version=`cat /temp/install/version.txt`
if [ $new_version -gt $old_version ]
then

#build it
cd build/release
cmake ../../ -DwxWidgets_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE=”/usr/local/bin/wx-config” -DwxWidgets_ROOT_DIR=”/usr/local/include/wx-2.8″ -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/temp/install -DBoost_INCLUDE_DIR=/temp/kicad-sources -DCMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=”ppc -arch i386″ -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=”-D__ASSERTMACROS__”

# make clean
if make > /temp/kicad_errors-${new_version}.txt 2>> /temp/kicad_errors-${new_version}.txt && make install
then
file=kicad_osx_v${new_version}
echo $new_version > /temp/install/version.txt
mv /temp/kicad_errors-${new_version}.txt /temp/install/build_log.txt

#bundle
cd /temp/
cp -rf install ${file}
tar -czf ${file}.tgz ${file}

#upload
curl -T ${file}.tgz ftp://username:password@ftp.brokentoaster.com/
rm -rf ${file}

# cd /temp/kicad-sources/build/release/
# /Developer/usr/bin/packagemaker –doc osx-package.pmdoc –title ‘Kicad’ -o ${file}.mpkg
# curl -T ${file}.mpkg ftp://username:password@ftp.brokentoaster.com/

else
curl -T /temp/kicad_errors-${new_version}.txt ftp://username:password@ftp.brokentoaster.com/
fi

# go to sleep
open /Users/nick/Applications/SleepNow
else
echo “Kicad is uptodate 🙂 “
fi

18 Responses to “Kicad OSX nightlies fixed again.”

1. Marco says:

So package description now works correctly, i'm happy of that.

2. Nick says:

Marco: Sorry no I forgot to test that and its still having issues… the following is a log

Last login: Wed Jun 10 16:50:27 on ttys000
    You have mail.
    % ssh mini
    % cd /temp/kicad-sources/
    % cd build/release/
    % /Developer/usr/bin/packagemaker –doc osx-package.pmdoc –title 'Kicad' -o kicad_osx_v1811.mpkg
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.284 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 0 (null)
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.337 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 1 net.sourceforge.kicad.cvpcb
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.352 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 0 (null)
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.361 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 1 net.sourceforge.kicad.eeschema
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.370 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 0 (null)
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.379 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 1 net.sourceforge.kicad.pcbnew
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.385 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 1 net.sourceforge.kicad.pcbnew
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.401 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 0 (null)
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.410 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 1 net.sourceforge.kicad.kicad
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.414 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 1 net.sourceforge.kicad.kicad
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.422 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 0 (null)
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.433 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 1 net.sourceforge.kicad.gerbview
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.437 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 1 net.sourceforge.kicad.gerbview
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.446 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 0 (null)
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.454 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 0 net.sourceforge.kicad.demos
    2009-06-10 17:03:03.461 packagemaker[37763:10b] Setting to : 0 net.sourceforge.kicad.demos
    ERROR: Could not copy resources to "en.lproj".

3. Paul says:

I downloaded KiCAD for OSX v1817 in order to try it out. The developer tools were installed on the computer with Mac OSX 10.4 some time ago. I am not ready to compile the project yet, just want to kick the tires.

I was not certain where to place all the files, so I decided to place the whole folder in the Applications directory. When I start kicad.app, it crashes with error:

"dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
    Referenced from: /Applications/kicad_osx_v1817/bin/kicad.app/Contents/MacOS/kicad
    Jun 16 21:23:22 x177 crashdump[228]: kicad crashed"

A google search on "mac libiconv.2.dylib" suggests that this is related to an application built on OSX 10.5 with OSX 10.4 compatibility not having the correct set of options. A google search on "Building on Leopard with Tiger compatibility" yields some ideas for a possible fix: http://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10220 .

4. Marco says:

Nick you should launch it in the kicad-sources/ in the svn root, where you launch make 😉

5. Nick says:

Marco:
    I 've tried the following with no success ..
    /Developer/usr/bin/packagemaker –doc ./build/release/osx-package.pmdoc –title 'Kicad' -o kicad_osx_v1811.mpkg

If you can figure out what stupid thing I've done I'd be grateful.

6. Nick says:

Paul:
    I had run into this before a while back and confirmed it was a Tiger compatibility issue. Thanks for pointing me at that site, I'll poke about a bit and see if I can get it sorted out.

7. Nick says:

Paul: Try version 1823

I've recompiled the wxMac libraies. I haven't had a chance to test with tiger myself yet.

8. Paul says:

Nick:

Thank you for your efforts to trying to resolve this. I downloaded kicad_osx_v1823 tonight, expanded and moved to the /appplications folder. When I tried to run kicad.app, I received the error:

"Link (dyld) error:

Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
    Referenced from: /Applications/kicad_osx_v1823/bin/kicad.app/Contents/MacOS/kicad
    Reason: Incompatible library version: kicad requires version 7.0.0 or later, but libiconv.2.dylib provides version 5.0.0"

So not much has changed from my earlier report.

This weekend I plan to update Mac OX X 10.4.6 on the PPC to the latest 10.4.x to see if that improves anything.

9. Brian Durocher says:

Fantastic. R1828 is working really well. Some issues seem to be corrected with Library edit in Schematic mode, not crashing. Although it is still very buggy I think this version is very usable for schematic and board editing. More work still needs to be done on the Xor draw problem in the boost lib. CVPCB works well and does not crash now when viewing footprints.

Importing a module in PCB edit works now as well.

Nick keep these builds coming the OSX version dare I say could almost be a release candidate.

10. Marco says:

Paul^H^H^H^HBrian which is the problem you are talking about ?
    I'm the author of the fix you have talking about, but i don't know which is the issue of "Xor draw problem in the boost lib"..

11. Brian Durocher says:

Well if you go into he PCB editor and place a part, if you move that part it will display a trail of parts. In the past people have blamed this on the XOR function for drawing the part to the screen.

12. Marco says:

Sadly Quarz has not logical functions they were present in quickdraw, i had arranged the OR function with the trasparency.

I've considered this a secondary issue but i'll take a look on it soon.

13. Brian Durocher says:

Marco, you are correct it doesn't affect the usability of the program and as such should come secondary.

I have uncovered a problem in the eeschema, materials list export tool.

I have images and an error report for you.

14. Marco says:

I've posted a proposal of patch on the developer ML regarding the "pads tail" during moving of modules, waiting for a commit in the SVN.
    For the "outline" is a different and more complicated problem, and i've to say is much worse with wx2.9, where is vanished also the old bad working wxXOR.

If you have problems of this kind post it in the developers ML, next time 🙂

15. Nick says:

Not sure. SVN builds are just what ever has been checked in that day so never guaranteed to build.

I will check the build logs.

16. Brian Durocher says:

Nightlies not working again. Any idea what the issue is with the latest build?

17. Brian Durocher says:

Thats strange that the ALDrawable is causing the error. That has always pop'ed up in CMAKE as a warning but I don't recall it ever failing to build as a result.

18. Nick says:

Brian: I think the error is in 3d_canvass.cpp

/temp/kicad-sources/3d-viewer/3d_canvas.cpp:66: error: call of overloaded 'wxGLCanvas(WinEDA3D_DrawFrame*&, int, NULL, const wxPoint&, const wxSize&, int)' is ambiguous

No new SVN version today so hopefully someone is working on a fix for it.